Makes 8 large cupcakes or 12 small
- 200g hazelnuts (pecans work but hazelnuts are much better)
- 3 apples
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 30g desiccated coconut
- 30g shelled hemp
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp fresh ginger
- 6tbsp coconut cream
- 3tbsp hazelnut /almond butter
& some cupcake cases
- Pop the oven on to 180oC
- In a blender, whizz the hazelnuts (and/or pecans) for about 30 seconds until you have a mismatch of shapes and sizes.
- Spread the nuts out on a roasting tray and pop in the oven for 6 minutes & then allow them to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl grate the apples. Keep the skins on and just grate them until you hit the core of each apple.
- Zest your lemon!
- Crack the eggs into the cake mix, add the coconut, hemp, baking powder, cinnamon & ginger.
- Finally, fold in the nuts. Add a generous spoonful or two into your muffin cases (depending on how big the cases are). Drop the mix into the cases, keeping lots of air in between scoops (i.e. don't pat them down!).
- Bake for 30 minutes and then turn the oven off and leave in for a further 30 minutes, take them out & cool.
- Whisk together the coconut cream & nut butter (of your choice) & some fresh berries if you wish.
**Note, because there is no oil in the mix it tends to stick a little more to the paper so be careful when unwrapping these sugar-free delights!