Can tea can help you fight the January blues?
The VITL Nutrition Team
Food and supplements provide multiple nutritious benefits, but a slightly more underrated source of nutrition and health benefits is dried tea leaves! Better still, tea can also offer some warm, welcome relief from the cold and dark winter months.
Choosing the right tea for you based on your health goals can go a long way in offering comfort and support to beat those January blues.
In-house nutritionist Georgie Murphy has provided some insight into which teas are the most effective according to your health goals!
Tea for Energy
- Green tea - rich in antioxidants, contains caffeine (as a stimulant) and L-theanine (as an anti-anxiety compound). These two work together to provide a calm focus when performing tasks, research has shown its benefits for focus in particularly cognitive tasks. Try We Are Teas Sencha Green Tea
- Yerba mate - contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and even amino acids! It also contains stimulant compounds such as caffeine - several studies have shown that caffeine improves focus and alertness at doses of 38-400mg.
- Here’s some other alternatives that are good for energy but without the jittery effects of coffee that can sometimes be experienced! - matcha, green tea, chai, and earl gray
Tea for Stress/Anxiety
- Chamomile tea - has been shown to significantly reduce anxiety and aid relaxation, try We Are Tea’s loose leaf or chamomile teabags
- Or try We Are Tea's soothe blend containing fennel, chamomile, lemon verbena, holy basil, mint, ginger - a relaxing, inflammation-busting, antioxidant soothing blend of goodness.
- For other anti-anxiety teas, try valerian, turmeric, fennel, lemon balm, lavender, peppermint, ginseng, passionflower!
Tea for Sleep
- We Are Tea have a delicious sleep blend containing chamomile, lavender, rose, holy basil.
- Holy basil has been shown to reduce stress and improve sleep problems as well as having anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects
- Also good for sleep - Rooibos tea
Tea for Focus
- Peppermint has been shown to reduce mental fatigue and be beneficial for cognitive performance. It has also been shown to reduce daytime tiredness! Try We Are Teas Alert blend or pure peppermint teabags
- Also good for focus - black tea and green tea
Tea for Mood
- Rooibos tea contains high amounts of health and wellness-promoting antioxidants
- Green tea contains a compound, L-theanine, which has been shown in animals to increase the mood and relaxation neurotransmitters, dopamine, GABA and serotonin
- Try We Are Tea's sencha teabags or the Moroccan mint green tea
- Also good for boosting mood - saffron and turmeric