Easy and tasty recipes to get you through Veganuary!
Half way through Veganuary and struggling for inspiration? Or perhaps you’re a little late to the party and fancy giving it a go?
It may feel a little daunting, but actually there’s plenty of tasty meals you can make that will leave you feeling satisfied and taste delicious!
Here's a few meal ideas, sweet treats and snacks we think you could have a crack at:
Sweet potato and chickpea curry - serves 4 !
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x red onion - roughly chopped
- 2 x gloves of garlic - crushed or finely chopped
- 1 x fresh chilli (chilli flakes if preferred)
- 1 x 2cm ginger
- 1 ½ x tablespoons rogan josh paste
- 2 x sweet potato - peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 x 400ml light coconut milk
- 200g rice
- Juice of 1 lime to serve
- 1 x bunch fresh coriander
- First, heat your olive oil in a large pan, once hot add your chopped onion, cook for a few minutes and add the rogan josh paste
- Once the onions are starting to go soft, add your garlic, chilli (or chilli flakes) and ginger to the pain, cook for a few minutes. Make sure they don’t catch! No one wants burnt garlic
- Add your sweet potato chunks, whilst they cook for a few minutes, quickly drain and rinse your chickpeas, then add to the pan
- Next add your chopped tomatoes, give it a stir, then add around 200ml of water
- Bring to the boil, then come down to simmer for 10-15 minutes (or until the potatoes are soft)
- Meanwhile cook your rice - according to packet instructions
- Add the coconut milk and stir, cook for a few minutes
- Drain and wash your rice
- You’re ready to serve! Garnish with a sprinkle of coriander and lime juice
Courgetti with vegan pesto - with a kick! (serves 2 )
For the pesto :
- 200g butter beans, drained (half a typical can)
- 1x large garlic clove
- 5-6 x sun-dried tomatoes (more if you’re a fan!)
- 35g fresh basil, reserve a few leaves to garnish
- 2x tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
For the courgetti spaghetti
- 3 x courgettes - peeled into courgetti strips, or use a spiraliser if you have one!
- 1 x large ripe avocado, skin and seeds removed, chopped
- ½ red chilli, chopped (increase to your preferred heat if necessary!)
- 1x tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the pesto :
- Blend all your ingredients and 9 tablespoons of water to a rough paste in a food processor
- Add extra water to loosen the mixture if necessary
- Season and set aside
For the courgetti spaghetti :
- Peel your courgetti and collect in a bowl
- Dollop the pesto on top of the courgette strands and carefully stir until the courgette is evenly coated.
- Pile the courgetti spaghetti and pesto onto two plates
- Top with the chopped avocado, leftover basil leaves, chopped chilli and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Time to eat!
Vegan chocolate chip cookies: makes 20 cookies in no time at all!
- 200g dairy-free margarine
- 125g soft light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 200g vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp soya milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Add your dairy-free margarine, sugar (both light brown and white), and the vanilla extract into a large bowl
- Sift your flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt into the same bowl and beat everything until thoroughly combined and almost smooth!
- Next add your chocolate chips and soya milk - mix again to incorporate the choc
- Use 2 spoons to form neat mounds of dough onto the lined baking trays - remember they will spread!
- Bake for around 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a baking tray!
Quick snack ideas!
- Nuts, nuts, nuts - a handful a day is a great snack, why not try some home roasted ones with a bit of paprika and salt!
- Almond butter on apple slices or rice cakes
- Kale chips - all you need is kale, olive oil and salt!
The important thing to remember is that a Vegan diet isn’t impossible, it just takes a little extra thought. The best way to start is think about what current meals you eat, and identify what areas need to be swapped for Vegan-friendly alternatives!