I love October, pumpkin pies, gingerbread cookies, hot chocolates and warm hearty food. I have been feeling gingery, like I have to add cinnamon or ginger to almost everything I eat. I have a list of recipes ideas to experiment with and a lot of them are inspired by Autumn flavours. Here is one of my experiments which turned into a Gingerbread Caramel dessert delight! It is also raw, gluten free, dairy free and suitable for vegans!
This is also perfect for the Christmas season coming up!
3 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
60g Coconut Sugar
100g Coconut Oil
200g Almond Butter
Pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp of Milled Flaxseed
4 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2-3 Tbsp Cacao Powder
1/2 Tbsp Rice Syrup or Sweetener of Choice
Ground Ginger Powder for sprinkling
1. In your food processor with an S-Blade, blend your base ingredients until it is crumbly and when
you press the mixture with your thumb and finger, it should stick. Do not leave it for too long or else
it will start to turn into butter.
2. Line a 8 x 8 square tin, I did not have one so I made mine in two rectangular containers. Then
press your base mixture into the tin firmly and evenly. Set aside.
3. For the filling, blend everything together in your food processor until it is smooth and then pour
the mixture into the square tin over your base mixture and spread it evenly. Let it sit in your freezer
for 30min until it is firm.
4. Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the toppings apart from the ground ginger in a bowl and
sweetened to taste.
5. Once your topping is set, drizzle your topping mixture over it and top it with more ground ginger
powder. You can also make more of the chocolate mixture and cover the caramel filling entirely.
6. Pop it back into the freezer and let it set for an hour. To serve, take it out of the freezer and use a
sharp knife to slice into squares or bars.
The gingerbread slice is super addictive! The caramel filling just melts in your mouth!