Healthy gingerbread men recipe - no processed sugar!
The VITL Nutrition Team
Take the guilt out of festive feasting this Christmas
Ingredients: makes approximately 15 large gingerbread men!
- 5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 free range eggs
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp blackstrap molasses - (can be found in standard supermarkets!)
- Pre heat your oven to 150°C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Add all your dry ingredients to a bowl and mix
- Add all your wet ingredients in another bowl (add the coconut oil last!)
- Pour wet mix into dry mix and combine until a dough has formed - don’t be worried if it’s a little sticky compared to other cookie doughs
- Clear a surface, sprinkle some flour (if you’re gluten-free use almond or gluten free flour) then pour out your dough. Gather it into a even ball, then cover in clingfilm, and place in the fridge for around 15 minutes
- Now that it’s chilled, it’s time to roll! Grab a rolling pin and roll it out so its approximately ½ cm thick
- Then select your chosen cookie cutter
- Place your cookie cuts onto the baking tray, and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Place onto your baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes - depending on whether you want a nice crunch or a chewy cookie
Now to decorate!
- 100ml aquafaba (water from a can of chickpeas) - trust us
- 500g icing sugar
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Whilst your gingerbread cools, whip up the aquafaba with an electric whisk until foamy
- Add ¾ of your icing sugar to the mix, and whisk until smooth and thick!
- Then add the rest of the icing sugar and your lemon juice, and whisk again until your mixture starts to form stiff peaks
- You’re ready to decorate! Let your creative Christmas juices flow
Time to bake up a storm!
If you get the chance to make these tasty treats, be sure to tag us in your photos! You can find us on facebook, instagram and twitter!