How to reignite your workout routine: beginner or pro
Has it been a while since your last workout? It happens! Here are some great tips for getting back into balance this autumn.
Nutrition, recovery and fitness routine all play a role in your health. Although Vitl makes it easy to stay on top of nutrition, it is important to keep your exercise routine exciting. “Routine” doesn’t have to mean that it’s the exact same each time, in fact, scheduling a wild card day in your weekly fitness routine will still keep you on track, but more importantly, engaged with your workouts. If you, like many, are getting back into a routine this autumn then here are some top tips to help you get back on track with your fitness.
Try something new
Whether you’ve fallen off fitness wagon or you’re just getting started, trying new things can keep your workouts interesting and fun. Great ways to switch things up include;
- Try a new group class, especially if you’re the type who likes community-driven fitness
- Try bodyweight workouts that don’t involve leaving home, saves you money, and can move with you wherever you go (yes, even on holiday!)
- Try out new equipment at the gym
- Try adding a new and different class or exercise into your schedule if you already have a workout routine. It can help keep things less boring
- Try fun activities such as rock climbing that can help you forget about fitness but still claim the same benefits.
Create commitment using a partner and your calendar
Keeping a routine going can be tough, especially when you are only just getting started. A buddy system can be super helpful for holding yourself (and your friend) accountable as well as trying new things in the gym with confidence and support. They can be your motivator or your spotter when you’re pushing your limits with weights.
Keep up your routines by checking in, even if you aren’t in the same location. Another way to stay on track is to schedule your workouts and give them the same attention your dinner reservations and meetings get. Don’t forget to set a reminder on your workouts to keep your mindset on completing your fitness for that day.
Supply yourself with the energy needed
If you have not been working out lately, you may want to have a look at your current diet because you may not be receiving enough carbohydrate-rich foods to support the additional energy needed to workout. Make sure your meals are at least 2-4 hours before a workout and your snacks are at least 1-2 hours before a workout.
- Sweet potato
- Chickpeas and lentils
- Brown rice or wholegrain pasta
- Fresh fruit
- Rice cakes with nut butter and banana
- Smoothie with berries, spinach, handful oats, nut butter, and 1/2 of a banana for an energy boost.
When the going gets tough
Sometimes we’ll hit a wall and we want to avoid the gym for a week, which can easily turn into a few weeks. Taking a week off can be great to recharge and get a break, but consider decompressing gently with a yoga class, long walks or getting a massage. Taking care of yourself during your week off will make a return to fitness easier.
While getting back into balance this autumn, don't forget to take advantage of 35% off DNA and 50% off your first Perosnalsied Pack with us this September. Stay on track by understanding what diet and training methods are most suitable for your DNA and keep your nutrition in topped up has never been so easy.