Sugar-free Christmas gingerbread men recipe
The VITL Nutrition Team
A simple festive favorite for all the family, made without dairy or processed sugars.
When it comes to Christmas, there's nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked goods and these festive favorites do not disappoint! Lots of you have been asking for a recipe that avoids using processed sugars and dairy, and still tastes delicious - here it is!
Ingredients (makes approximately 15)
5 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla
2 free-range eggs
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
4 tbsp blackstrap molasses - (can be found in standard supermarkets!)
- Preheat your oven to 150°C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Add all your dry ingredients to a bowl and mix
- Add all your wet ingredients in a separate bowl (coconut oil last) and mix
- Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and combine until a dough has formed - don’t be worried if it’s a little sticky compared to other cookie doughs
- Clear a surface, sprinkle some flour (if you’re gluten-free use almond or gluten-free flour) then pour out your dough. Gather it into an even ball, cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for around 15 minutes
- Now that it’s chilled, it’s time to roll! Grab a rolling pin and roll it out so that it's approximately ½ cm thick
- Using your selected cookie cutter, cut the cookies out and place them onto the baking tray
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on whether you want a soft & chewy cookie or a nice crunch
For the Icing
100ml aquafaba (water from a can of chickpeas) - trust us
500g icing sugar
½ tsp lemon juice
- Whilst your gingerbread cools, whip up the aquafaba with an electric whisk until foamy
- Add ¾ of your icing sugar to the mix and whisk until smooth and thick
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and your lemon juice, whisking again until your mixture starts to form stiff peaks
You’re ready to decorate!
If you get the chance to make these tasty treats, be sure to tag us in your photos! You can find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!