Sweet potato & butternut squash soup
A delicious winter warmer to nourish your immune system.
This soup isn’t just tasty, it's also super nutritious...
- Garlic - Cold and flu season has sadly begun. Luckily this delicious dish has immune-boosting properties thanks to garlic. Garlic contains compounds which can have an immune-enhancing effect which can reduce the severity of colds and flu.
- Butternut squash - Butternut squash is not only high in immune-boosting vitamin C but it also contains high amounts of the antioxidant beta-carotene. Studies have shown that beta-carotene also has immune-enhancing effects particularly by increasing immune cell number and activity.
- Sweet potato - Rich in vitamins and minerals, sweet potatoes are also high in antioxidants which help to protect the body from damage and disease. Also high in immune-enhancing vitamins A and C as well as fibre that promotes feelings of fullness and can help maintain a healthy weight.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium butternut squash
- Paprika (optional) - or 2 red chillies for a bigger kick!
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add a drizzle of oil to a big soup pan (and a knob of butter if your fancy treating yourself).
- Add the onions and cook until soft, then add the garlic (and paprika/chilli) for 2 minutes.
- Next, add your chopped butternut squash and sweet potato, gently cook for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Then add your vegetable stock, bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes (or until your veggies are tender).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Take off the heat then puree with a hand blender (if you prefer a thinner soup, add more stock and blend until desired consistency is reached).
Ready to serve!