Turmeric is a root-like stem that has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine for its range of health-supporting properties. It is not only anti-inflammatory but also supports your immune system's defence mechanisms. Although turmeric is rapidly digested in the body, it is not readily absorbed into the bloodstream. Make sure that you always pair it with black pepper and healthy fat which can increase its bioavailability by as much 2000 times!
- 1 cup organic full fat coconut milk (you may use milk or another alternative milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Ghee, butter or coconut oil for the benefit of absorption and feeling full
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger root peeled and grated (or use dry ground ginger)
- big pinch of ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup as a vegan alternative to honey (add after heating)
- Cinnamon and any other spices for flavouring
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract for flavouring
- Combine all ingredients in a pan and heat on low
- Simmer (don't boil) for 15 minutes
- You can blend the ingredients by hand or in a blender for more froth.
- If you wish, strain before serving.