Vegan lemon poppyseed muffin recipe, sugar & gluten-free
A perfect little afternoon treat. These little muffins are vegan and gluten free and jam-packed with superfood goodness. They're sugar-free too, so you could even have one (or four?!) for breakfast!
Makes 9-10 regular sized muffins
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 5 tbsp. apple sauce
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ mashed banana
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp. poppy seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup plant-based milk (soya, almond, coconut, rice etc.)
- 1 sachet VITL Greens powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl mix together all the wet ingredients: ½ a mashed banana, 1 ¼ cup of plant-based milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, zest of 2 lemons, juice of one lemon, 5 tbsp of apple sauce and 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients: 1 cup buckwheat flour, 1 cup oat flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking powder, 3 tbsp of poppy seeds, ½ tsp salt and 1 sachet of VITL Greens powder. Mix well until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix either by hand or you could also use an electric mixer to avoid lumps. The batter should be a thick consistency but still pourable in muffin trays.
- Line your muffin tray with cupcake liners or use a silicone tray and simply distribute the batter evenly to each mould.
- Bake at 180 Celsius for 35-45 min depending on the oven you are using, once 35 minutes have elapsed start checking with a toothpick or a knife to see if the muffins are ready. If there is batter on the toothpick bake a little bit more, then check again and so on.
- Let them cool in the tray before taking out.