Easy-to-swallow vegan Vitamin D3 Softgels. As Vitamin D3 is a fat-soluble molecule, each cholecalciferol capsule contains a small amount of sunflower oil to maximise absorption.
- Contributes to normal absorption and utilisation of calcium and phosphorus
- Contributes to normal blood calcium levels
- Contributes to the maintenance of normal bones
- Contributes to the maintenance of normal muscle function
- Contributes to the maintenance of normal teeth
- Contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Has a role in the process of cell division
Public Health England Recommendation
A 2016 Public Health England report recommended that everyone would benefit from a daily dose of Vitamin D.
It is estimated that approximately 60-90% of the UK population is deficient in vitamin D. The main reason for low Vitamin D is that, while it can be consumed through some foods, most of our supplies should be internally made. This process occurs in the skin when UVB sunlight hits the skin. So the further you live from the equator and the less sunlight you are exposed the more likely you are to be deficient.
It important to supplement with vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) rather than D2. Vitamin D3 is the type of vitamin D your body produces in response to sun exposure, while vitamin D2 is not. Vitamin D2 can easily be obtained from the diet whereas it is almost impossible to meet your recommended daily intake of vitamin D3 through diet alone.
If you fall into the following categories your risk of deficiency is further increased:
- People with darker skin
- People who spend a lot of time indoors during the day. Especially if you’re housebound, work long hours in an office or work nights
- People who cover their skin with clothing or sunscreen all of the time
- Older people have thinner skin than younger people and this may mean that they can’t produce as much vitamin D
- Pregnant women
For a full list of ingredients, please see below.