High protein breakfast: Blueberry and ginger porridge
This porridge is a belly blessing. High in protein and fibre, this quick and easy breakfast not only tastes amazing but is sure to keep your gut health in check.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats, rinsed
- 1/4 cup red or white quinoa, rinsed
- 1tbs pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 2tsp olive oil spread
- 1tsp minced ginger
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp stevia (or to taste)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut and almond milk, warmed
- Combine olive oil spread and ginger in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add quinoa and buckwheat groats and stir to coat.
- After 2 minutes, add 1 cup of boiling water. Bring to boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Add cinnamon, stir, and cover for 15 minutes, or until the groats and quinoa are cooked through.
- Transfer to your breakfast bowl and mix in pumpkin seeds and blueberries.
- Sprinkle with stevia to taste before pouring over warmed milk.
- Add 1 tsp of flaxseed or chia seeds
- Soak the buckwheat and quinoa overnight in water (with a teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar) to help the groats cook faster
- To reduce cooking time, grind the buckwheat groats and quinoa prior to cooking in a mortar and pestle
- Prepare the porridge in bulk, and store the extra in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat the porridge and add blueberries and pumpkin seeds with the milk.