Gut boosting healthy breakfast: bircher muesli
The first in our series of gut boosting breakfasts to start your day right. Bring yourself back to balance with this appetizing bircher bowl created by our expert gut health adviser, Dr Megan Rossi PhD . Loaded with antioxidants for gut health and unsaturated fat for heart health, this is a breakfast the whole family will love.
Prep time: 5mins
Cooking time: 5min
- 2/3 cup cooked mixed ancient grains (try Merchant Gourmet wholesome mixed grains)
- 2 tsp stevia (or to taste)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbs raw nut & seed mix
- 2 tsp shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup natural yogurt (look for one with “live active cultures” written on the label)
- 60g mixed berries (1/2 cup fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of unsweetened oat and coconut milk
- Combine the grains, milk, berries and stevia in a saucepan over low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to your serving bowl before topping with yogurt, coconut, nuts & seeds. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Yum!
Replace fresh/frozen berries with a blend of dried berries, such as goji, acai and cranberries