Gluten-free protein cinnamon swirl recipe, vegan
The VITL Nutrition Team / 12 Dec 2017
Gluten free and only sweetened with a couple of dates so you could even have them for breakfast! (They're also vegan!)
Makes around 2 large stacks
For the batter
- 1/4 cup VITL Vanilla Protein
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup soaked dates (overnight)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2tsp vanilla
- pinch of nutritional yeast (optional for that slightly cheesy flavour)
- Combine wet and dry ingredients for the pancakes and set aside to thicken up for around 10 minutes.
- While it's thickening up, blend dates with water until a smooth batter appears, you may need to add more water depending on the strength of your blender.
- Add the cinnamon and a pinch of salt and transfer it to a piping bag.
- Mix up the frosting and place back in the fridge ready to serve.
- Now your batter is ready for the pancakes. Heat your pan over low/medium heat with a little coconut oil.
- Drop batter into pan and before the top starts to set, swirl in your date mixture try and put it actually into the batter rather than just on top as it may come away when you flip your pancakes.
- Once the pancakes are showing several bubbles, flip them over for a minute to cook the swirl side.
- Remove from the pan (there may be some date paste on the pan just scrape it off onto the pancakes - it tastes like toffee!)
- Serve with frosting and a little seasonal fruit (I also smashed up some granola pieces and sprinkled them on top just for that added crunch!)