- 8 bamboo skewers
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 large, organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or thinly minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, minced garlic, a good pinch of salt and twist of black pepper in a bowl
- Cube the chicken into 1-inch pieces and mix in the bowl
- Toss to coat the chicken evenly. Cover the marinated chicken and refrigerate for 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
- thread the marinated chicken cubes onto the skewers. If you are grilling, put the grill on a medium high heat. Turn frequently and grill until well browned (around 5 - 7 minutes). Alternatively, if you are barbequing, heat the barbeque to a medium heat and cook for 7 - 10 minutes, turning frequently, until the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken and allow to sit for a few minutes. Enjoy with a leafy Greek salad and top with Tzatziki.
Why not make your own Tzatziki?
Shop-bought tzatziki is often full of preservatives and seeing as it is so easy to make your own at home, why not give it a go while your chicken marinates?
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Chop the cucumber in half lengthways and scoop out the seeded, watery middle with a teaspoon. Peel the two halves and chop the flesh into tiny cubes (about half a centimetre each)
- Place in a sieve over a bowl or the sink, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes to draw out the excess water.
- Remove them from the sieve and pat the cucumber cubes dry with a paper towel. Place in a small bowl and mix in the yoghurt, garlic, and dill. Season with a small pinch of salt to taste.
- Et voila! Refrigerate until ready to serve.