Vegan lentil burgers
The VITL Nutrition Team / 31 May 2022
What is better than a burger in the summer sun? Give these vegan burgers a try for a yummy BBQ feast.
Ingredients for 6 patties
- 200g lentils
- 2 small carrots
- 1 cup of onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- ½ cup of gluten free or normal flour
- 1 cup of almonds finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup of oats
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional (to serve as a burger!)
- 6 grilled slices of pineapple
- Whole grain buns
- Vegan mayonnaise
1. Preheat the oven to 200 celsius (air).
2. Boil the lentils in slightly salted water until they get softer.
3. Blend the carrots and then the almonds (separately) in a mixer.
4. Mix the chia seeds with ⅓ cup of water and let them soak until they get bigger.
5. Drain the lentils and blend ⅔ of them in a blender; leave the rest as they are.
6. In a big bowl, add the blended lentils, carrots, onions, thinly chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper, oregano, chia seeds mixture and the olive oil. Then add the rest of the cooked lentils and the flour (it may need more flour; adjust the amount so the mixture is easy to mould).
7. Mould the mixture into 6 vegan patties (coating your hands with flour helps!).
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Serve on whole grain bread buns, with baked pineapple and vegan mayo if you want to enjoy it as a burger!
Pro tip: Chia seeds with water are used in order to substitute the eggs and they make the burger stick together.
You might also be interested in: